Alton Rugby Football Club

Try Bonus Points for All

Sat 25 Mar 2017, 15:00


33 - 17

Lymington Mariners


Five weeks without a competitive league fixture is no way to prepare for the first of the three final and vital league fixtures of the season.

However, Alton overcame a very spirited opposition on their return to a sun-drenched Anstey Park.

Immediately Alton showed their intent to run and pass.  After a couple of minutes, they were awarded a penalty on the visitors' 22 metre line but unfortunately the attempt by Cameron Wickshe hit the post which is no mean skill in itself and Lymington cleared their lines. Alton spent the next ten minutes continually pressurising Lymington with David Shepherd successfully excuting his opportunity, following excellent support play. The relatively easy conversion enabled Wicks to give Alton a 7 - 0 lead. Lymington fought back immediately to score a try close to the touch line which was not converted, score 7 - 5. Two minutes later Alton managed to hold a Lymington player up although he had crossed the goal line. Stung into action Alton charged up the park and using several passes set winger, Tom Burgess, free and he touched down for an unconverted try. There were no further scores in the first half despite both teams attacking with pace and aggression. Half time arrived with the score at 14 - 5.

Within seven minutes of the restart, Alton were again on the score sheet when a sweeping move was finished off by Wicks. Unfortunately he failed to convert and the score remained on 19 - 5. Luke Parratt led a charge out of Alton's own 22 metre area, setting up a move during which several Alton players were involved, resulting in Wicks collecting his second try and Alton's try bonus point. Wicks successfully converted his own try to take the score to 26 - 5. Alton's fifth try came through a bustling charge by Tommy Willis, which Wicks duly converted.  Lymington, to their credit did not succumb and were rewarded with the last two tries of the game resulting in a final score of Alton 33 Lymington Mariners 17.

Referee - Marcus Wilkinson (HRURS)

Alton began the day in third place in the Snows Hampshire 2 League with 47 points and finished in third place with 52 points. Alresford remained in first place with 60 points and Overton remained in second place with 58 points, since all three clubs at the top of the league won their games and earnt a try bonus point point.

Alton play their next league fixture away to Alresford next Saturday, 1st April kick-off 3 p.m.  Not only will this have the excitement of a local derby, it is a critical game for both sides in the last couple of weeks of league promotion and possible championship.  Overton though do not have a league match that day, leaving an exciting finish to the season in this league!

Go back