Welcome to the U14s squad.
We believe in Rugby Union's 5 core values:
- Respect, for our team mates, our opposition, our coaches, match officials and those who support our game and give us the opportunity to play.
- Teamwork, we are learning to play selflessly, working for the team, not for ourselves, both on and off the field. We regularly have team outings in the closed season to help build the team ethos. We welcome all new team members.
- Discipline is essential. Rugby would not be as safe or as much fun without it.
- Sportsmanship. Our team has a good reputation and we should aim for even higher levels of sportsmanship from all.
- Enjoyment is the reason we play, coach and support rugby.
- To provide a safe, positive environment where the players can enjoy improving each time they play or train.
- We try to help players develop in a game-orientated training environment, we believe the best way to learn rugby is to play rugby.
- To help players to make their own decisions, to have room to experiment and learn what does and does not work.
It is our aim to give all squad members competitive match experience. Our team selection is based on many criteria including players ability in core skills, team spirit, fitness, the standard of the opposition, attendance and attitude in coaching sessions. Our overriding consideration is for the safety of all the players, we select players based on the level of competition they will encounter. This is encouraged throughout the whole of the club by entering each age group for a variety of competions from the Hampshire tournament through to the emerging players tournament This gives all squad members an opportunity to partcipate at a competitve level suited to their ability.
Is this a successful strategy?
As a squad over the last few seasons we have reached the final stages in many of the major tournaments in which we have participated. The squad has grown considerably in size and ability and each player within the squad has come to appreciate that teamwork is the key to success at all levels.